Warm Hot Chocolate Bombs that are not only sweet and tasty but also aesthetically pleasing because you get to watch delicious chocolate explode with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows. Hot Chocolate Bombs are chocolate domes that are filled with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows and once you pour hot milk over the hot chocolate bombs, the chocolate dome melts and the hot chocolate mix and marshmallows are released making this the perfect cozy treat on a chilly winter evening. DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs are also so easy to make and require only 3 ingredients.
- Hot Chocolate Mix
There are also a few items you will need to make DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs. I linked those below. Since the links below are Amazon affiliate links, I may make a small commission at absolutely no cost to you.
- Dome Molds (silicone or acrylic) either material works
- Brush or spoon
- Double boiler (optional)
- Candy Thermometer
How to make hot chocolate bombs:
- Temper chocolate
- Apply thin layer of chocolate in each dome
- Freeze for 5 minutes
- Apply another thin layer of chocolate in domes
- Freeze for another 10 minutes
- Assemble the hot chocolate bombs
How to temper chocolate properly:
Tempering the chocolate is very important when making DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs. Although this may seem like something only a professional can do, tempering chocolate is simple if you just follow the instructions that I will share. Tempered chocolate will leave you with a shiny chocolate dome that melts perfectly with when you pour milk over it.
To temper chocolate, place water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl or a double boiler and place the bowl on top of the pot of boiling water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
Using a spatula, mix the chocolate until completely melted. Once the chocolate has melted, remove from heat. Do not let the chocolate go over 105°F.
What is the best chocolate to use?
When making DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs, it is best to use premium chocolate bars because they melt really well and leave your with an extra shiny Hot Chocolate Bomb, however, chocolate chips will work as well.
Adding Chocolate to the domes:
Add about 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate in the center of each mold then brush the chocolate up the rims or use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate. You don’t want to have extra chocolate in the center of the dome. It should all be evenly distributed and if you have any holes, dip the brush in the melted chocolate and cover the wholes.
After the first layer of chocolate, freeze for 5 minutes.
Then, add another thin layer of chocolate the same way. Add 1 teaspoon of chocolate and brush it up the edges of the domes only this times, be extra careful that there are no holes in your chocolate and you want to make sure the chocolate comes up all the way to the top of the rim.
Lastly, freeze 10 minutes this time.
Difference between using silicone or acrylic molds.
Both materials work well. If you are a beginner, I recommend silicone molds because you can take the chocolate out of the molds much easier. Acrylic molds are more professional and are extra smooth and will give you a more professional look. When using acrylic molds, you will notice that the chocolate will lift itself off of the mold when it is set completely. The acrylic molds should be clear and you will know that your chocolate is set when the chocolate is no longer stuck to the acrylic mold. To lift chocolate out of the molds, gently place fingers in the center of the dome and very carefully lift it toward you using just your finger tips. make sure your hands are not warm when handling the chocolate.
How to assemble the chocolate bombs.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat for 1 minutes and remove from heat.
- Take all chocolate domes out of their molds.
- Place chocolate on the warm skillet until the rims are slightly melted. This should only be about 5 seconds.
- Place the dome on a flat surface, empty side up, and fill with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows.
- Close the Hot Chocolate Bombs by adding a second chocolate half come on top. The rims should stick together to the melted end of your bottom dome.
- You may have some spaces that are not closed or touch all the way. To fix this, using your finger or brush, dip it in a tiny bit of chocolate and run it around the chocolate dome.
Makes 3 Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 6 oz premium chocolate (56% cocoa)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons hot chocolate mix
- 3/4 cups mini marshmallows
- Melt chocolate using a double boiler or in a microwave.
- Pour one teaspoon of melted chocolate in each dome and using a brush or the back of a spoon, brush it up to the edge making sure to cover the whole section.
- Freeze for 5 minutes.
- Repeat step 2 for each dome adding one teaspoon of melted chocolate in each dome and brushing it up evenly to the edge.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Once our chocolate is completely set, heat an empty skillet on medium heat for one minute then remove from heat. While your heated skillet is removed from the heat, carefully take the chocolates out of their molds.
- Flip over 3 of the halves. Fill each one with 11/2 tablespoons hot chocolate mix and 1/4 cup of mini marshmallows.
- To close the chocolate bombs, one by one, place each of the empty chocolate domes (rim side down) on the warm skillet so that the rim melts slightly.
- Place the empty mold on top of the filled chocolate mold. They will seal where the melted chocolate is. If your have any holes around the rim, gently place a touch of melted chocolate to cover any holes.
- Decorate as you wish and refrigerate until use.
To make hot chocolate:
- Gently place hot chocolate bomb in a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the hot chocolate bomb and watch as the hot chocolate bomb explodes and releases hot chocolate and delicious marshmallows.