Paccheri rigati and chicken in blush sauce is one of those meals that is so simple to make, it will easily become your go-to pasta meal. This pasta dish is made with shredded chicken and blush sauce. Although you can substitute any form of pasta, I like to use Paccheri rigati for this because it is great in combination with shredded chicken.
Paccheri rigati is a thicker and wider version of rigatoni so it does not need an additional ingredient to overpower the pasta. Shredded chicken gives this dish a source of protein that isn’t overpowering. Complete with a rich blush sauce, you won’t regret adding this to your weekly dinner rotation.
What makes this recipe great:
- Comes together so quickly.
- Perfect combination of flavor and texture.
- Approved even by the pickiest eaters.
- Paccheri Rigati is a type of pasta that is very similar to rigatoni. It is slightly larger and wider than rigatoni and it holds lots of sauce.
- Shredded Chicken. The protein of choice in this dish is chicken. Since the pasta used is very thick pasta, I like the balance that the shredded texture brings.
- Blush Sauce. This is a tomato cream sauce. Depending on the brand that you use, blush sauce usually is made from tomato sauce, heavy cream to add creaminess, and additional flavors such as garlic, cheese, etc.
- Onions, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. To add flavor, I added sautéed onions to this dish along with Parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish.
Steps to make Paccheri Rigati and Chicken in Blush Sauce.
- Cook Paccheri Rigati per package instructions.
- Sautée onions until softened then add chicken.
- To chicken and onions, pour in blush sauce.
- Toss in the Paccheri Rigati, making sure all pasta is coated with sauce.
- Remove from heat and top with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
What is Blush Sauce?
Blush Sauce is a rich and creamy tomato sauce. Blush Sauce recipes vary but most are made with tomato sauce, heavy cream, cheese blends, and other ingredients for flavor such as garlic and herbs.
What is the best type of chicken to use in this recipe?
Cooked and shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken would be ideal of this recipe. I always keep shredded chicken in the freezer for salads and quick dishes so this is a perfect example where that shredded chicken would come in handy. Another quick alternative would be canned chicken. It is pre cooked and can easily be “shredded” or broken down but I would much rather make the chicken myself as I think it tastes a lot better that way. All are great options and it comes down to personal preference.
Paccheri Rigati and Chicken in Blush Sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 8 oz Paccheri Rigati
- 1 jar Blush sauce 24 oz
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Parmesan cheese
- parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring water to rapid boil. Add pasta and reduce heat to gentle boil. Cook for 17-19 minutes (al dente) or until desired tenderness is reached.
- In a medium deep skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Add chopped onions and sautée until onions are softene, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently with wooden spoon.
- Add shredded chicken to onions and cook for additional 1-2 minutes mixing frequently to avoid buring.
- Pour in blush sauce to the shredded chicken and onions. Once sauce comes to a light simmer, remove from heat and add pasta. Toss pasta in the sauce until pasta is fully coated and all ingredients are mixed together.
- If desired, top with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve warm