I am confident that this Flavorful Chicken Cutlets Recipe will be your favorite! A thinly sliced, breaded chicken cutlet, pan fried in oil with one secret ingredient.
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE SO FLAVORFUL?
- MUSTARD! Yes, you read that right. This only ingredient is what will make this chicken cutlet recipe more flavorful than the rest.
Like many of you, breaded chicken cutlets have been a go to meal all year round in our household. Simply because it’s versatile, easy to make, and inexpensive. Making it so often lead to boredom and let me tell you, life is too short for flavorless chicken cutlets! I knew there had to be a simple way to make this popular recipe much better without the extra complicated changes.
That’s when I turned to mustard! I use tangy mustard in so many of my chicken marinades because it makes a world of a difference. After adding it to my chicken cutlet recipe, I can say with confidence that I will never be going back.
HOW IS MUSTARD INCORPORATED IN THIS RECIPE?
Simple. Rub yellow mustard over the chicken cutlets before breading them.
STEPS TO MAKE FLAVORFUL CHICKEN CUTLETS.
- PREPARE INGREDIENTS. You will need 3 shallow bowls. One with all purpose flour, another with whisked eggs, and a third with Italian seasoned bread crumbs.
- Season whisked egg mixture and all purpose flour with salt and pepper. Seasoning every step will ensure a flavorful chicken cutlet! (If you make your own Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, make sure you season those with salt and pepper as well.)
- Whisk in Parmesan Cheese to bread crumbs.
- POUND CHICKEN THIN. This will ensure evenly cooked, crispy chicken cutlet. Thick chicken cutlets will result in a uncooked center and a burnt crust.
- Place thinly sliced chicken on a plastic cutting board. Cover chicken with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet,(Amazon Link) pound chicken thin, about 1/4 inch think.
- Season prepared chicken cutlets with salt and pepper! Yes- even the chicken. Don’t worry, it’s not too much salt. What you will get is FLAVOR!
- RUB MUSTARD OVER CHICKEN. Before you do anything else, use a pastry brush to rub mustard over each chicken slice on both sides. This is what will add a unique flavor different than any other recipe you have tried.
- BREAD THE CHICKEN. Dip each slice of chicken in flour, whisked egg, and bread crumbs mixture.
- Be sure to press down the bread crumbs to coat each chicken fully.
- FRY CHICKEN. Add a generous amount of oil in a pan over medium heat. Place 1-3 chicken cutlets in the heated oil. Cook until golden brown on each side. Remove from heat and place on paper towels to drain excess oil from the flavorful chicken cutlets.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL FLAVORFUL CHICKEN CUTLETS RECIPE.
- Mustard. Even if you are not a fan of mustard, I can ensure you that you won’t get much of a mustard taste. You will, however, get a boost in the flavor of your ordinary chicken cutlets. Once you try this, you will be convinced as much as I am that mustard will make your chicken cutlets very flavorful.
- Leave chicken at room temperature before frying. Cold chicken can sometimes release water and it will cause breading to fall apart. Room temperature chicken will ensure breading to stick and more evenly cooked chicken. Evenly cooked chicken results in flavorful chicken cutlets.
- Thin chicken. Use a meat mallet (Amazon Link) to pound chicken thin. Bread crumbs will burn before the chicken is fully cooked if the meat is too thick.
- Don’t over crown the pan when frying. This will decrease the temperature of the oil, resulting in poorly cooked chicken cutlets.
- Use flavorless oil such as canola, sunflower, or vegetable oil. These oils have a high smoke point and are less likely to burn. Many other recipes note to pan fry the chicken cutlets in olive oil and I don’t agree with that. That is what makes this recipe unique and makes the most flavorful chicken cutlets. The risk of burning your chicken cutlets increases if you use olive oil.
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE.
This flavorful chicken cutlets recipe is great to make because it is very versatile. Make it along side with my favorite Seasoned Baked Potatoes. If you’re looking for other great chicken recipes, check out my viral Parmesan Crusted Chicken in Mushroom Sauce. Got ground chicken on hand? These Smoked Gouda Chicken Burgers NEVER fail!
Flavorful Chicken Cutlets Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 3 cups Seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by pounding the chicken breasts to an even thickness of about 1/4 inch. This will help them cook evenly and make them tender.
- Using a pastry brush, brush mustard over the chicken slices on both sides. Season each slice of chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish, add flour and season with salt and pepper. In a second shallow dish, whisk the eggs and season with salt and pepper. In the third shallow dish, combine Italian bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip each chicken breast into the flour mixture, coating it thoroughly on both sides. Shake off any excess flour. Next, dip the coated chicken breast into the egg mixture, making sure it's fully coated. Allow any excess egg mixture to drip off. Finally, coat chicken breast with bread crumbs. Press the bread crumbs to ensure they stick to the chicken.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. You can test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small piece of bread into it. If it sizzles and turns golden brown within a few seconds, the oil is ready.
- Carefully place the coated chicken breasts into the hot oil, 1-3 at a time, depending on the size of your skillet. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to adjust the heat to ensure they don't burn.
- Once cooked, transfer the chicken cutlets to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Repeat the frying process with the remaining chicken breasts, adding more oil if needed.
- Serve the chicken cutlets hot, either on their own or as part of a delicious meal. They pair well with mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or a fresh salad.