Smoked Gouda Chicken burgers
Chicken burgers often times do not taste great on their own. However, if add the right ingredients in the chicken, add a smokey cheese like smoked gouda and place them on delicious, wholesome buns, they prove to be out of this work delicious. The bread of choice for my smoked gouda chicken burgers is Ezekiel buns. The ground chicken burger is flavorful and juicy and is even better with smooth and flavorful smoked gouda. Although you can use any buns of choice, Ezekiel buns are a great, wholesome option that has incredible flavor and texture.
Breakdown of the Smoked Gouda Chicken Burgers.
Ground chicken burgers are often times dry and don’t have a lot of flavor. While ground beef burgers are best with minimal added ingredients in the meat, I find the opposite to be true for ground chicken burgers. The most flavorful meat usually is due to the high amount of fat. Chicken is pretty lean so not a lot of flavor on its own and that is why I added a few basic ingredients in the ground chicken.
To add more flavor to the ground chicken, smoked gouda cheese sounded like a great idea. Smoked gouda has a mild and smooth flavor, but if of quality, it also has a smokey taste that sets it apart from regular gouda. What better way to add flavor to a ground chicken burger than to add some smokiness.
Ezekiel buns were the buns of choice for this kind of burger because ever since I tried Ezekiel bread, there is no going back for me. At least not on most days of the week. I mostly enjoy the fact that there is no sugar or honey. I’m not a fan of sweet breads so this was a great choice for me, however, you can substitute Ezekiel buns for your favorite.
Adding flavor to the smoked gouda chicken burgers.
Ground chicken is not very flavorful on its own so I added minced garlic cloves, freshly chopped parsley, smoked paprika, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. After mixing all the ingredients in the ground chicken and the patties have been formed, sprinkle some more salt and pepper on each of the patties, both sides.
Also, if perfection had a definition, it would be toasting the Ezekiel buns on the grill for a couple of minutes before assembling your burger. It make a world of a difference.
What is Ezekiel bread?
Ezekiel bread is a much healthier option, rich in many different nutrients and fiber. It is made out of sprouted whole grains and legumes. It also contains no added sugar and most other breads do. You can find Ezekiel bread sliced but they also have burger buns, bagels, wraps, and other great options as well.
Perfectly grilled chicken burgers.
Place the burgers on a hot gas or charcoal grill. There is no correct grilling time that is precise for all burgers and grills. This will vary on the thickness of the burgers as well as the temperature of the grill. The internal temperature of the ground chicken burgers should be 160°F, which is roughly anywhere from 3-5 minutes per side. You can measure the temperature using a food thermometer. If temperature of the chicken gets too hot, there is a chance the burgers will dry out.
What’s a burger without any toppings?! There are an enormous amount of toppings that go wonderfully on these smoked gouda chicken burgers. Some suggestions are:
- red onions
- ketchup and/or mustard
- dill pickles
- aioli sauce
Smoked Gouda Chicken Burgers
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh ground parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt plus more for top of burgers
- ¼ tsp pepper plus more for top of burgers
- 4 Buns
- 4 slices of smoked gouda cheese
- Preheat grill on medium to high heat.
- In a medium browl, mix together ground chicken, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Shape into 4 patties, about 4 oz each. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of each burger before placing on grill.
- Place the burger patties on the grill. Cook about 4 minutes on one saide. Flip over, place a slice of cheese on each, and grill for another 4-6 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken burgers should reach 160°F. If you use a food thermometer, once this temperature is reached, the chicken burgers are cooked.
- Optional: Place buns on grill for about 1-2 minutes to toast slightly.
- Assemple burger and add desired toppings.