Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
You can never go wrong with Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce simply because it is loved by people of all ages and it’s one of the easiest meals to put together. You will find that this Homemade Spaghetti Sauce recipe has basic ingredients, it doesn’t involve a lot of effort, and the combination of herbs in sauce recipe will leave your taste buds super satisfied.
It’s not secret that this is my go to dinner idea when I have ground beef on hand and want something tasty and easy.
How to make Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce:
- chop up and sauté your onions
- Add garlic and ground beef. Cook until beef changes color
- Add all of the rest ingredients
- Let it simmer
What I enjoy most about this recipe:
- You only need one sauce pan
- Minimal preparation/effort required
- Basic Ingredients
- Loads of flavor
- Can be used as lasagna filling
What kid of ground beef should you use?
There is really no particular rule when it comes to what you use. Basically, it comes down to preference. I like to use higher fat content ground beef because it has more flavor since we don’t eat red meat everyday. After all, all of the flavor in the meat comes from the fat. However, there are other amazing seasonings in this recipe that you can you any ground beef that you like. You can even make this a healthier recipe by replacing ground beef for either ground turkey or ground chicken.
I don’t add sugar to my Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce. I find that tomatoes and tomato paste give enough of sweetness so there is need for anything in additional sugar. When ever I followed a recipe with sugar, I always found it to be too sweet so I did not include it in this recipe.
How long should the sauce simmer for?
It is no secret that time equals flavor. The longer you simmer the sauce for, the more flavorful it will be. However, I have found that 1 hour is perfect for this recipe because it includes ingredients that really intensify the flavor and make it very tasty even without hours of simmering.
How to store Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce?
Store the Spaghetti Meat Sauce in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It will not be as saucy as it cools and stays in the refrigerator however as you warm it up, it will come back to it’s original consistency.
Warm the sauce up Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce in the microwave or on the stove top. If using the stovetop method, make sure to mix constantly so that they sauce does not burn. If warming it up in the microwave, make sure to mix the sauce after each minute so that the Spaghetti Meat Sauce heats evenly.
Can you freeze Spaghetti Meat Sauce?
Yes. This Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce can be frozen for up to 2 months. Make sure to store in an airtight container or a freezer bag. I would even double bag it to prevent freezer burn.
This recipe is very versatile. Even though it’s perfect over spaghetti, it can slo be used for:
- lasagna filling
- baked ziti
- spaghetti bake
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped finely
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Tbs dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tbs dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook the onions until translucent. Then add garlic, bacon, and ground beef. While cooking, use a wooden spoon to break down the ground beef so all large chunks for meat are broken apart. Cook until the ground beef has just turned brown.
- Add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and all seasonings including the parmesan cheese. Let the sauce simmer on low heat for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Pour over cooked spaghetti and enjoy while still warm.