All the chocolate lovers reunite right here. Right now. This EASY No Bake Chocolate Mousse Cake is made up of an Oreo crust with a subtle crunch topped with silky smooth chocolate mousse with a rich chocolate flavor.
I have tried many mousse recipes that are usually so much more work than needed. I am so happy to always come back to this simple recipe again and again and it is always a hit.
To start, I used a food processor to make the very fine cookie crumbs. If you want a crust that is more rich, you can use double stuffed Oreo cookies. For my readers that are outside of the United States, I know that original Oreo cookies can be a bit pricey. You can substitute any chocolate wafer, like cookie for the Oreo and the recipe will still work incredible
Tips for making the perfect Oreo Crust:
- Make sure your butter is completely melted. This will ensure that your Oreo crust is soft and evenly mixed together.
- Do not remove the cream filling. Use the whole Oreo cookie including the creaming filling. It will give your crust a smoother texture with so much more irresistible flavor.
- Make sure your Oreos are very fine crumbs. The best way to do this is to use a food processor. Pulverize the cookies until you get very fine crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, place the cookies in a heavy duty bag. Use a rolling pin to roll the bag with the Oreo cookies until you get the cookies into fine crumbs. This will be a little more time consuming than using a food processor.
- Pack the mixture with the butter and Oreo crumbs very tightly to the bottom of your pan and come up the sided just slightly.
- Refrigerate the crust while making the crust. As the butter cools and hardens, it will keep your crust together.
Making the Chocolate Mousse. I highly recommend using good quality chocolate for this No Bake Chocolate Mouse Recipe because it will give your mousse a silkier texture and a much better flavor. Although chocolate chips of your choice result in a great chocolate mousse, I think a a higher quality baking chocolate bar will make the mousse extra in terms of both flavor as well as texture.
Tips for Making the Chocolate Mousse:
- Whip the heavy cream with the sugar and a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. You will know when you have stiff peaks by testing the whipped up cream with the whisk. Simply dip the whisk in your whipped cream, pick up a little bit of whipped cream, and turn the whisk upside down. If the whipped cream stands up straight without falling apart, then you have a perfect stiff peak. If your whipped creams falls down, you should keep whipping the cream one minute at a time.
- Melt the chocolate. Chocolate is very delicate and will burns very easily. There are two ways to melt your chocolate without burning it. One way is to microwave it 30 seconds at a time and mixing in between each 30 second set. This is because the heat from a microwave can burn the chocolate quickly and easily. The other way to melt chocolate is over steam. This is my favorite way to melt chocolate and your chances of burning the chocolate are not as high. Simply fill a pot of water and place it on the stove over medium high heat. On top of the pot of water, place a heat proof bowl making sure that the bowl does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Place the chocolate in the heat safe bowl and stir constantly. The heat from the steam will make the bowl hot, which will in turn melt your chocolate. Mix until smooth of lumps.
- Mixing your hot cocoa mixture with the melted chocolate. Once the two are mixed they combined mixture will slightly thicken. Whisk vigorously to make sure no lumps are formed.
- Add chocolate mixture once it has cooled completely. I can not stress how important this step is. You want to make sure that your chocolate mixture has cooked because if it is still hot or even warm, it will melt your whipped cream and it will not hold together.
Let the No Bake Chocolate Mouse cake set. I know how hard it will be to resist this chocolaty goodness but believe me, if you are patient enough to let it set overnight, your flavor and texture will be out of this world.
Garnish is optional. If you’d like, you can top each slice with extra whipped cream and your choice of fruit or leave it as is. The choice is yours and either way, this No Bake Chocolate Mousse Cake will become one of your favorite chocolate desserts!
• 28 Oreo cookies (300 grams), ground
•6 Tbs (85 grams) melted butter
•1 3/4 cups (400ml) heavy cream
•1 tbs sugar
•pinch of salt
•9oz (250grams) of good quality baking chocolate
•5 Tbs (75 ml) hot water
•2 Tbs (10 grams) cocoa powder
You can use any type of chocolate, wafer like cookie as a substitute.
1. To make the crust, mix the the finely ground Oreo cookies and melter butter until the mixture feels like wet sand. Press into the bottom of a 9-in springform pan. Refrigerate while making the chocolate mousse.
2. On high speed, whip together sugar, pinch of salt, and heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form (about 4-6 minutes). Set aside.
3. Melt chocolate by placing it in a heat safe bowl over a pot of boiling water. The steam from the boiling water will melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate is smooth and melted, remove from heat.
4. Mix together cocoa powder and 75 ml of hot water.
5. Add mixed cocoa to melted chocolate and whisk until smooth and well combined.
6. Once the chocolate mixture is cooled, fold it in the whipped cream using a rubber spatula. Use the folding method instead of mixing vigorously.
7. Pour onto Oreo crust and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
You may garnish with whipped cream and berries or as you wish!