This tuna chickpea pasta salad is packed with protein, fresh veggies, and loads of flavor. It makes for a perfect lower carb, high protein lunch idea that you can make ahead and enjoy on the go.
When I first had the idea to make this, I had regular pasta salad in mind. I had chickpea pasta on hand so I decided to test it out and it turned out so tasty. It contains a lot of protein, healthy fats, and delicious crunch from fresh vegetables. Lastly, a creamy lime dressing completes this pasta salad and adds incredible flavor.
If you are looking for more low carb recipes, you should check out my Lighter Chicken Parm Recipe – it never disappoints!
How to make Tuna Chickpea Pasta Salad.
This dish is one of the easiest pasta salads you can make. The steps in making this pasta salad are:
- cooking chickpea pasta per package instructions
- washing and chopping a few vegetables
- making easy creamy lime dressing
- mixing all ingredients together
This pasta salad is a cold salad. As a result, make sure your chickpea pasta has cooled completely before mixing it in with the rest of the ingredients. You can speed up this process by running it under cold water after the chickpea pasta has cooked. Not allowing the chickpea pasta to cool will result the avocado mayonnaise to melt, leaving you with a soggy instead of a creamy pasta salad.
After cooking the chickpea pasta, all there is left to do is mix all the ingredients together. I found that refrigerating this pasta salad for at least 1 hour before serving resulted in the best flavor.
Storing your pasta salad.
Place pasta salad in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Do not freeze or leave at room temperature.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! You can double, triple, or quadruple this recipe. Don’t make more than can be eaten in 2 days because this pasta salad can’t be frozen.
If you’re a fan of pasta, you will absolutely love my Paccheri Rigati and Chicken in Blush Sauce!
Tuna Chickpea Pasta Salad
- 1 can tuna packed in water
- 2 cups cooked chick pea pasta (1 cup dry) cooked and cooled
- 1 english cucumber chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoe halves
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ avocado
- 1 (2.25oz) cup sliced black olives
- 1 tbsp avocado mayonnaise
- 1 whole lime juiced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dill
- ½ tsp parsley flakes
- Cook chickpea pasta per package instructions.
- While the pasta cooks, prepare all vegetables and avocado by washing and chopping. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, juice 1 lime, add tablespoon of avocado mayonnaise, salt, pepper, dill, parsley, and garlic powder. Mix and set aside.
- Once the chick pea pasta has cooked completely, drain and rinse under cold water until the chickpea pasta is cooled completely.
- In a large bowl, add chickpea pasta, tuna, vegetables, avocado, and black olives and mix together. Add the dressing and mix again. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.