This Applewood Smoked Cheddar Lasagna is a true masterpiece, combining the rich and smoky flavors of applewood smoked cheddar cheese sauce with layers of pasta and ground beef. The comfort food will tantalize your taste buds like never before!
Instead of your standard ricotta later, this unique and one of a kind lasagna is made with a cheese sauce. The cheese sauce is made with applewood smoked cheddar cheese. It gives this lasagna a rich and smoky flavor with a wonderfully smooth texture. In combination of the cheese sauce, it has a layer of delicious ground beef mixture made with tomato sauce and seasonings. The two layers disbursed between oven ready lasagna sheets make this lasagna recipe unique and unlike any recipe you have tried.
Lasagna is the perfect, family friendly dish in the fall once the weather cools and we are all looking for more comforting meals made at home. I came up with a different twist on lasagna last fall when I came across Aldi’s infamous cheese section. They carry a brand called Emporium Selection that has several different cheeses, Applewood Smoked Cheddar Cheese being one of them.
Speaking of fall, here is a list of my favorite fall recipes:
WHY THIS APPLEWOOD SMOKED CHEDDAR LASAGNA RECIPE WORKS.
- Uses oven-ready lasagna sheets (no boiling required, HUGE time saver)
- Requires mostly staple pantry ingredients
- Easy to follow instructions
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE DIFFERENT THAN THE REST.
Flavor. One of the key elements that sets this lasagna apart from the rest is the use of Applewood Smoked Cheddar. This distinctive cheese add a unique smoky flavor that perfectly complements the traditional lasagna ingredients.
Texture. It is also made with a cheese sauce instead of the standard red sauce. The Applewood Smoked Cheddar Cheese is incorporated in a cheesy sauce and poured over each layer of lasagna. This gives this unique dish a smooth texture.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS.
Prepare your cheese sauce. Place all ingredients for the cheese sauce in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk until cheese has melted and you have a thick like, sauce consistency.
Prepare ground beef. In a saucepan, cook onions until softened. Add ground beef and cook until it has changed in color. Then add tomato sauce, seasoning, and parmesan cheese. Stir and let simmer for 2-4 minutes on low heat.
Assemble the lasagna. In a 9×13 in baking dish, (Amazon Affiliate Link) layer lasagna sheets, then cheddar cheese sauce, then meat sauce, then mushrooms. Repeat layers 3 times. On top of the last layer of lasagna sheets, a small amount of left over meat sauce and cheddar cheese sauce.
Top with mozzarella.
Bake. Bake covered at 375°F for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes. Enjoy!
If you liked this unique recipe – Paccheri Rigati and Chicken in Blush Sauce for any easy weeknight pasta dinner.
Applewood Smoked Cheddar Lasagna
Applewood Smoked Cheddar Sauce
- 8 oz shredded Applewood Smoked Cheddar
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 package oven-ready lasagna sheets
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat, mix together shredder cheddar, parmesan cheese, heavy cream, and garlic powder. Whisk until the cheese has melted and the sauce is a thick, creamy consistency. Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions in the oil and cook until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook until it has changed in color.
- Stir in 3 cups of tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese in the ground beef mixture. Let simmer for about 3-5 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently.
- In a 13×9 pan, spread 1 cup of the remaining tomato sauce. Layer with uncooked lasagna noodles, then 1/3 of the meat sauce and 1/3 of the cheese sauce. Repeat the layering process 2 more times. Top the last layer of lasagna sheets with shredded mozarella.
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil and bake covered about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- After baking, let lasagna sit for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy 🙂