These savory Cheddar and Chives scones are have a flaky inside and a have a crumbly, melt in your mouth outside with the perfect flavor of chives and bits of sharp cheddar cheese.
Scones are usually made with fruit or chocolate and are a sweet option for a breakfast or brunch. These cheddar and chives scones are if you are like me and prefer a savory breakfast full of delicious flavor. This scone recipe can be made one day ahead and baked next day or you can bake them the same day they are made. I like making the dough for these cheddar and chives scones the night before I bake them because they taste best fresh out of the oven. Scones can be a great addition for any special event and are great with a perfect cup of hot coffee or tea.
If you are considering making these cheddar and chives scones for a brunch party, check out these recipes that would also be a great addition to any brunch:
- Cinnamon Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Homemade Authentic Crepes Recipe
- Lemon Berry Scones
- The BEST Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Ingredients Needed for this Cheddar and Chives Scones.
- All purpose flour. This is the base component of most baked goods including scones.
- Baking Powder. This is the leavening agent that makes the scones rise slightly.
- Salt. Adds extra flavor.
- Heavy Cream. Contributes to deep flavor and crumbly outer texture.
- Egg. Adds flavor and texture.
- Butter. An essential for best flavor and flaky inside texture.
- Cheddar Cheese, freshly chopped chives, and garlic powder. These ingredients make this cones recipe unique.
How to make Cheddar and Chives Scones.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Incorporate in cold butter.
- Mix together heavy cream and egg.
- Pour in flour and butter mixture along with chives and cheddar cheese. Mix until mixture is moistened. It should be sticky.
- Drop onto counter and shape into an 8″ disk.
- Cut into 8 wedges and transfer onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
Tips for making the BEST Cheddar Chives Scones.
- Don’t use milk instead of heavy cream. A lighter liquid will completely change the texture and thickness of the scones. The closest substitute for heavy cream is to use buttermilk.
- Don’t melt butter. You should still see pieces of butter after your dough is complete. A pastry cutter helps in working the butter in the flour without warming it up with the heat of your hands.
- Don’t overwork dough.
- Keep dough cold at all times. This prevents spreading of the scones when baked.
- Refrigerate dough before baking.
How to Store Scones.
Any leftover scones can be stores in the refrigerator for 5 days in a closed container.
Cheddar and Chives Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 tbsp butter
- ½ cup heavy cream cold
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese cut into very small cubes
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder together in a large bowl. Cut the cold butter into small cubes. Add it to the flour mixture and combine with a pastry cutter until the mixture comes together looking like big crumbs.
- Whisk heavy cream and the egg in a small bowl. Drizzle over the flour mixture. Add small cubes of cheddar cheeses and freshly chopped chives and mix together until everything is moistened.
- Drop dough onto floured surface and work dough into a ball. Dough will be sticky. If it’s too sticky, add a little more flour. If it seems too dry, add 1-2 more Tablespoons heavy cream.
- Press into an 8-inch disc and, with a sharp knife cut into into 8 wedges. Place scones on a liked baking sheet about 2 inches apart and refrigerate at least 15 or 20 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and lightly browned. Larger scones take closer to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy warm.